Laggy timeline in Adobe Premiere Pro
I’ve been using Premiere Pro for the last six months and have been very happy with it but there’s one issue that I’ve always found slightly frustrating. When dragging clips around on the timeline there is a lot of lag, it’s almost as though the clips are attached to the mouse cursor by an elastic band and you have to wait for them to catch up when trying to reposition them.
I noticed in this thread over at the Adobe forums that this isn’t the case for everybody so I started Premiere up on my two year old Macbook Pro and noticed that the lag doesn’t happen on that machine at all. So why is my latest spec Mac Pro suffering?
Well the only way we’re going to figure that out is by getting some feedback from you guys and seeing if we can find anything in common when the issue occurs.
To see the effect for your self have a look at the following video…ARVE Error: src mismatch
src in org: https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/kyyv2ET5Azk?feature=oembed&wmode=opaque
src in mod: https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/kyyv2ET5Azk?wmode=opaque
src gen org: https://www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/kyyv2ET5Azk
If you’re seeing this effect or not please post a comment along with your system specs using the following linformation which is easily grabbed by going to the apple menu, then choosing ‘about this mac’ and ‘more info’. Please don’t post the bottom part which includes your system serial number though!
If you could also add the type of Graphics card your using and whether you have Mercury Playback Engine enabled it would be useful.
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro5,1
Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 2.93 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 12
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache (per processor): 12 MB
Memory: 16 GB
GFX Card: Nvidia Quadro 4000 for mac
MPE enabled: Yes
[Update – 15-7-2011]
After much discussion over at the Adobe forums it seems that reducing the height of the sequence panel solves the problem. Thanks to everyone that got involved, I’m sure that will help Adobe figure out what’s happening and develop a fix in a future release.
Update 2 – showing the CPU usageARVE Error: loop
ARVE Error: muted
ARVE Error: Invalid URL
Update 3 – showing how the drives are not being accessed.
Update 3 – showing how the performance is better on my 2006 Quad-core Mac Pro